Meet some of the researchers and staff members who make PPC such a great place to work!
For today's staff snapshot, we spoke with Senior Research Manager, Janell Walther, whose work focuses on helping communicate complex ideas to publics and policymakers to improve decision-making.
Q&A with Janell Walther
- What is something you have learned from your work and collaborations?
There are so many experts out there, and we can always learn more from others! I’ve learned about dry edible bean production in the Nebraska panhandle, about flying weather drones in Oklahoma, and about early childhood education policy in Delaware.
- How do you think the Center’s work impacts Nebraskans?
I think our work helps inform programs and policies across Nebraska, as well as represents Nebraskans’ views and opinions accurately.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
It’s okay to say “I don’t know” and “Let me think about that.”
- What/who inspires/motivates you?
I’m motivated to always keep in mind the people that will be impacted by the research as I’m working by constantly asking, “How does this improve lives? How can we make this easier?”
- What is one challenge you have faced in your career and how did you overcome it?
Completing my doctorate while working full time was a challenge, but I’m so glad I did it! The PPC was supportive of my continued learning, and I was able to apply what I was learning in real-time.